Health for All
Strengthening complementary means of laboratory diagnosis in Sao Tome and Principe
Sao Tome and Principe
This project is another step in the process of improving technical capacities and activating the laboratory network, which currently suffers from major deficiencies. This proposal is the result of strategic reflection work carried out in close partnership between the Sao Tome and Principe Ministry of Health, Portuguese Cooperation, the Associação Marquês de Valle Flôr (AMVF) and the IMVF. Thus, this axis of the Portuguese Cooperation Health Programme aims to provide the country with complementary laboratory diagnostic means that are absolutely essential to the provision of modern health care that ensure greater efficiency and effectiveness in the prevention, diagnosis and active monitoring of communicable and non-communicable diseases.
Overall: contribute to universal access to quality health care for the population of Sao Tome and Principe.
Specific: promote access to complementary laboratory diagnostic means at central and district level.
- The entire San Tomean population, around 215,056 inhabitants as users of the National Health Service;
- 73 laboratory technicians at national level;
- Sao Tome and Principe Ministry of Health.
- Rehabilitation, equipment and operation of laboratory infrastructures at Dr. Ayres de Menezes Hospital and at district level.
- Needs assessment and operationalisation plan;
- Constructions and improvements in the laboratory of the Dr. Ayres de Menezes Central Hospital;
- Constructions and improvement of the laboratories at district level;
- Acquisition of laboratory equipment and materials;
- Supply of laboratory reagents and consumables;
- Equipping the Dr. Ayres de Menezes Central Hospital and the district hospital with furniture and complementary materials.
- Improvement of the technical and material conditions of the preventive and primary care network at district level.
- Technical support for the use and management of laboratory equipment and facilities;
- Technical assistance and on-site and remote training in clinical pathology and health projections.