Maio 2025, for a sustainable and cohesive territorial development in Maio Island
Cape Verde, Maio Island
This action is part of an integrated sustainable development model for the island, in which tourism appears as a component, undoubtedly central, but conceived and planned among several others, whose potential for the development of the island should be recognized and enhanced. Areas such as agriculture, fishing and other activities linked to the maritime economy, and agro-food processing, environment and biodiversity preservation, culture, youth entrepreneurship, health and circular economy stand out. Investment in these areas, both in their direct relationship to tourism development, and in their intrinsic role and importance to local populations, is essential for the sustainable development of the Maio Island.
- Technicians and representatives of the City Council and local delegations (Health, Education, Culture, Environment/Agriculture, ICIEG – Cape Verdean Institute for Gender Equality, and the Police);
- Community associations, cooperatives and other local civil society organizations;
- Women, youth, children and teenagers;
- Farmers and livestock breeders, fishermen, fishmongers, cultural agents, artists, artisans, and small business entrepreneurs.
- Citizens of Maio Island in all its diversity, civil society, and the private sector.
Overall: consolidating a sustainable territorial development model in Cape Verde.
Specific: build a sustainable territorial development model on the Maio Island.
- Build capacity and strengthen local governance and civil society to address the main development needs and challenges of the Maio Island for the coming years.
- Ensure the integrated urban development of the island for the next 20 years.
- Strengthen the public health system of the island of Maio.
- Promote the sustainable and effective management of biodiversity and natural values on the island of Maio.
- Consolidate economic dynamism and the promotion of decent employment.
- Create a sustainable and inclusive tourist dynamic.
- Organize and guide an agriculture, livestock, fishing, and agrifood processing system to meet local needs as well as those of national and international tourism.
- 44 months: september 2021 to april 2025
- 1.192.367 €
- European Union
- Maio Municipality
- Mértola Heritage Defense Association
- Maio Biodiversity Foundation
- Local offices of national institutions (Delegation of the Ministry of Agriculture and Environment; Delegation of the Ministry of Health and Delegation of the Ministry of Education)
- Community and Civil Society Organizations