Support to the COVID-19 pandemic response in Sao Tome and Principe
São Tome and Principe
Given the main difficulties that persist in the health panorama of Sao Tome and Principe and the important role that has been played by IMVF, as a reference entity in health cooperation in the country, with more than 30 years of intervention in permanent partnership with successive ministries of health, there is a need to combine efforts and synergies between the European Union, Camões, I.P. and IMVF to integrate the response to the situation of propagation of COVID-19, together with other international donors and national partners.
The project is based on two pillars: support to the management coordination of the epidemic, at the institutional level, and that of the technical unit, focused on the clinical/hospital and laboratory management of COVID-19 cases, and also on the training of Santomean health professionals.
Overall: to reinforce the capacities of Sao Tome and Principe in its response to the epidemics.
Specific: to provide emergency support and strengthen the intrinsic capacity of the national health system of Sao Tome and Principe in the prevention and control of the COVID-19 epidemic in the country.
Direct: Health professionals of S. Tomé e Principe
Indirect: population of S. Tomé and Príncipe
Reinforcing the emergency response to the COVID-19 epidemic in São Tomé and Príncipe
- Advice, technical assistance and training in the implementation and coordination of operational plans for pandemic prevention and control;
- Identifying, acquiring, channelling and supporting the transport and management of technical resources and materials required;
- Complement resources, strengthen actions and response capacity at the level of diagnosis, prevention and assistance to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Complement resources and actions at the level of obtaining and monitoring epidemiological data;
- Strengthen risk communication and health education.
Improving the level of resilience and capacity of the santomean national health system to respond to future epidemics
- Training and education actions for local human resources.
- 19 months: July 2020 to January 2022
- European Union
- Camões – Institute for Cooperation and Language, I.P. (Portuguese Cooperation)