Health for All: Primary Care Project: Autonomy and Effectiveness
Sao Tome and Principe
The present action is aimed at implementing a capacity building programme on Specialised Care for São Toméan qualified professionals, working together with the São Toméan government to define a development plan to improve the HAM’s (Hospital Dr. Ayres de Menezes) services and care, strengthen the Telemedicine system and increase the connection and harmonisation between donors and cooperation actors, such as Hospitals and Portuguese professionals. The project is part of the Heath for All: Integrated Programme which also includes the project Primary Care: autonomy and efficiency.
Overall: Contribute to the consolidation of the National Health Care System of São Tomé and Príncipe by strengthening the provision of health care services and granting effectiveness to the MDGs related to health.
Specific: ensure the provision of preventive and primary health care in the 7 districts of Sao Tome and Principe, fostering an efficient management of financial, human and material resources.
Direct: About 769 health care professionals and technicians and the entire São Toméan population, around 179.506 inhabitants, as users of the National Health care System.
• Medical appointments held for General and Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Gynaecology – Obstetrics, Paediatrics, General Surgery, Psychiatry and Stomatology;
• Implementation of nursing care, clinical analyses, diagnostic tests and prescription drugs assistance;
• Training of Sao Tomean doctors, nurses and practitioners, in decentralized health units, for the provision of preventive and primary health care;
• Further epidemiological surveillance and support for National Programmes on Reproductive Health and the Fight Against HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis. Diagnostic tests and medication made available;
• Purchase and delivery of equipment, medication, consumables, reagents and additional means of diagnostic required for clinical practice in health centres and clinics at the district level;
• Decentralized campaigns of awareness and health education addressing Sao Tome’s population in general, with a special focus on women.
Ministry of Health and Social Affairs of Sao Tome and Principe, Camões – I.P. and Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
- January 2012 to December 2015
- Ministério da Saúde e Assuntos Sociais de São Tomé e Príncipe, Camões – I.P., Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian e Direção Geral da Saúde