Overcome the Pandemic in the islands of Santo Antão, São Vicente and Maio
Following the OVID-19 pandemic, which has affected the world, Cape Verde was no exception. The cancellation of all national and international travel and economic activities directly and indirectly linked to tourism, in a short period of time, have put the survival of small restaurants and accommodation units, as well as small agro-food processing units, at risk. Mitigating the effects of the pandemic on sectors directly and indirectly linked to tourism is a priority to overcome the effects of the pandemic on unemployment and poverty.
Direct: tour operators (guides, travel agencies, restaurants, hotels); entrepreneurs, associations and cooperatives indirectly linked to tourism (agri-food, cultural agents); artisans; young people and women, their associations and cooperatives from the islands of Santo Antão and Maio.
Indirect: populations of the island of Santo Antão (38,750 inhabitants) and Maio (about 7,000 inhabitants).
Overall: mitigating the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the local economy in Cape Verde.
Specific: supporting the restart of economic activity, in a secure manner, on the islands of Santo Antão, São Vicente and Maio.
Adoption of anti VOCID-19 security measures by companies
- Production of a manual with good hygiene and safety practices with specific measures for each sector;
- Training actions for restaurants, lodgings, guides, drivers and agri-food producers;
- Promotion of local production of masks;
- Digital production of visors;
- Distribution of protective materials to economic activities in contact with the public.
Increased training of companies to restart the activity
- Adaptation of companies for the adoption of anti covid-19 security measures;
- Training action in social network management;
- Online platform with voucher campaign for internal consumption.
Strengthening tourism promotion
- Production of 2 promotional video spots;
- Digital marketing campaign.
Raising awareness of preventive measures
- Radio awareness campaign;
- Dissemination of preventive measures on social networks;
- Dissemination of preventive measures with street animators.
- 24 months: September 2018 to August 2020
- Camões, I.P (Portuguese Cooperation)
- Associação de Defesa do Património de Mértola (ADPM);
- Municipality of Porto Novo;
- Municipality of Paul;
- Municipality of Maio;
- Instituto de Turismo de Cabo Verde;
- Associação Mundo Verde;